Flowers canoodling in song intros, elaborate dancing in the rain and musical confessions of love – romantic Bollywood movies have an unmatched charm that lives on to this day. Stunning audiences with larger-than-life romances, Bollywood is quintessentially an industry that churns out romantic movies on the regular. Even a thriller, horror, or action movie is often colored with varying shades of romance!
Which is the best love story movie in Bollywood?
There are way too many to pick from! The best Bollywood sagas are about all kinds of love stories that stay stamped in the Indian cultural psyche for posterity. These span time, generations of romantic movies Bollywood star families, and decades of musical genius.
A trip through the memory lane of the best romantic movies in Bollywood is capable of putting us all in a truly nostalgic mood. Want to give your memory a romantic refresh? We’ve got quite the list for you – read on!
Best Romantic Movies in Bollywood
1) Dilwale Dhulaniya Le Jayenge
Let’s start with a classic, shall we? DDLJ is the most famous, most watched, and certainly, one of the most beloved romantic movies in Bollywood has ever been screened. If you are a millennial, a lot of your ideas, thoughts, and daydreams about Bollywood romance have been heavily influenced by this cult film. It features Raj and Simran (Shah Rukh Khan & Kajol), who cross paths during their vacation in Europe and fall for each other amidst a series of serendipitous happenings. If you haven’t seen this classic, you need some serious Bollywood initiation!
Want to bring the DDLJ vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Book a romantic vacation with your better half to a scenic destination when it is safe to travel again.
- Take on a train journey as magnanimous and charming as the Euro rail.
- Rock cool y2k fashion while you’re at it.
- Don’t forget to ‘Jee lay apni zindagi’ with your babuji’s blessings!
Saathiya is a coming of age movie that explores modern marriages and relationships in romantic movies in Bollywood context. This early-aughts classic features stunning tracks by the maestro himself, Mr. A.R.Rahman and explores themes that were unusual in Bollywood at the time. The story revolves around Aditya and Suhani, a couple who elope to get married because of societal disapproval. Their relationship goes through many ups and downs in the course of their marriage. This is one of the realistic Hindi romantic movies and succeeds in making its point with poignant grace.
Want to bring the Saathiya vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Wear a lot of bright colors and organic fabrics.
- Turn up the volume on A.R.Rahman tracks which make you feel like you’re in a valley in Coorg.
- Have a cup of steaming tea and an honest conversation with your significant other.
- Never stop fighting for yourself and for your freedom to love whomever you choose!
Produced and directed by the King of romantic movies in Bollywood – Raj Kapoor, Bobby was the Indian film industry’s initiation in the currently popular teenage-romance genre. It starred beloved retro filmi icons Rishi Kapoor and Dimple Kapadia in their debut roles. In a classic rich-vs-poor backdrop, Bobby set the course for new kinds of Bollywood love story movies. A trendsetter of its time, this film was wildly popular and imitated many times over after its first screening.
Want to bring the Bobby vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Spend a weekend reading up a classic teenage love story.
- Wear polka dots, polka dots, and some more polka dots.
- Fall in love like a teenager once in a while and go on a long bike ride with your loved one!
4) Jab We Met
Jab We Met is like the DDLJ for the Gen Z generation when it comes to romantic movies in Bollywood has come up with in recent years. This 2007 romantic comedy features Kareena Kapoor and Shahid Kapoor and is a modern, feel-good flick. Who can resist falling in love with Bebo’s character Geet in this movie? The fast-talking, bubbly and cheerful Geet completely transforms Shahid’s character, Aditya’s perspective on life. Her spontaneity, candor, and faith in herself charm the audience almost as much as the protagonist of this film! Also, can we take a moment to give some love to the musical tracks featured in this movie? Some of these are evergreen hits that will stay with us forever!
Want to bring the JWM vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Take a long road trip with your partner or your bestie.
- Stop at a lake and jump in just for the fun of it – Do check the safety instructions first.
- Once in a while, let go of logic and do things for the fun of it all.
- Never ever forget to be your own favorite!
5) Dil Toh Pagal Hai
A star-studded cast with an equally glitzy soundtrack is what makes DTPH one of our absolute favorite romantic movies in Bollywood has ever created! This 90s film stars Madhuri Dixit, Shah Rukh Khan and Karishma Kapoor in pivotal roles. Following the love lives of the members of a dancing troupe, this movie features some stunning choreography from Shaimak Davar. This movie redefined coolness for the 90s kids and gave us a bopper of a film to cherish for generations.
Want to bring the DTPH vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Sign up for a virtual dance class online.
- Wear cool, comfortable and flexible athleisure.
- Find your way into an oh-so-filmy love triangle!
6) Chori Chori
When it comes to romantic movies in Bollywood, there is no on-screen couple that can match up to the sizzling chemistry of Nargis and Raj Kapoor. These legends starred in a romantic comedy film, directed by Arun Thakur called ‘Chori Chori’ in 1956. Featuring classic tracks like “Aaja Sanam”, “Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi”, and “Jahan Mein Jaati Hoon” in the voices of Lata Mangeshkar and Manna Dey, the romance of this classic Bollywood film is truly timeless.
Want to bring the Chori Chori vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Exude old-world charm with some vintage ambience.
- Wear retro elements like a boat neck blouse or a fedora hat.
- Escape the confines of your home and move somewhere new to start over!
7) Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai
Ameesha Patel and Hritik Roshan’s debut was a romantic movies in Bollywood blockbuster! This dynamic duo impressed the crowds with their chemistry and smoothly transitioned between romantic moments and action scenes in this love story slash thriller. One of the best love story movies Bollywood has come up with in the early aughts, Kaho Naa Pyar Hai is a must-watch for those who like a bit of spice in their rom-coms. An interesting story, a dramedy involving doppelgangers and loads of singing by the ocean, this one’s a must-watch!
Want to bring the KNPH vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Book yourself a cruise to take for the future when things open up.
- Invest in a pair of stylish sunnies and rock that early 2000s fashion like a pro.
- Colour coordinate with your significant other as much as possible.
- Escape to the hills for a staycation as you continue to WFH!
8) Hum Aapke Hain Koun
Want to get lost in the big fat Indian wedding land and live out your romantic movies in Bollywood fantasy? Turn back time and revel in some nostalgia with this 90s superhit film by Sooraj Barjatya! Starring Madhuri Dixit’s million-dollar smile and Salman Khan’s unabashed wit, this family movie is also a romantic classic. With one of the best Hindi romantic movies soundtrack, Hum Aapke Hain Koun is a truckload of fun, drama, Bollywood romance, comedy and tragedy. With all the ingredients needed for a blockbuster at the box office, this is one romantic movie that will be remembered in Bollywood for posterity.
Want to bring the HAHK vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Keep a vintage car handy for quick escapades to hill stations.
- Play the ‘hide the groom’s shoes’ game at the next wedding you attend.
- Break into song at every given opportunity, wearing the fanciest clothing you own.
- Perk up a bad day with chocolate, candy, ice cream and ‘toffiyan’!
Do you want to make your love relationship with your partner or even your friends stronger? Let True Love Mobile Cover do it for you! Our cover is made of high-quality materials that are able to resist the damages caused by everyday use. It’s easy to use with just one hand and ensures a perfect fit on any device
9) Jodhaa Akbar
This historic epic had an intense and magnificent take when it comes to romantic movies in Bollywood. One of the new romantic Bollywood movies to capture hearts across the nation, Jodhaa Akbar has given us some serious relationship goals. Not to mention, the musical soundtrack is just as epic as the story of this legendary couple. Aishwarya Rai and Hritik Roshan truly give us a glimpse into Indian royalty with this stunning movie.
Want to bring the Jodhaa Akbar vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Wear your traditional Indian garb with pride.
- Respect your better half’s personal beliefs and support their individual interests.
- Indulge your senses in some stunning spiritual melodies with Sufi music or old Bhajans.
10) Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
Another Shah Rukh starrer makes the list! What can we say? When it comes to romantic movies in Bollywood style, the Badshah is undeniably the best. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is a globally beloved Bollywood classic and is a cult movie that’s entrenched in Indian pop culture. The love triangle of Tina, Rahul and Anjali lives on in every college campus to this day, and Anjali’s legendary transformation in the second half of the film continues to give us the feels. This is a romantic dramedy that will most certainly go down in history as one of the very most romantic Bollywood movies of all time.
Want to bring the KKHH vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Learn to strum a guitar and impress your significant other with your talent.
- Go y2k glam desi-style like post-interval Anjali at your next college reunion.
- End all arguments with your BFF saying ‘But they’re my best friend ya!’
- Keep faith that love will find you again even after a personal loss or heartbreak!
Talking about epic romantic movies in Bollywood has memorialised, Mughal-E-Azam is a truly legendary tale. Madhubala, the undeniable star of this iconic movie, has delivered the best performance of her career in Mughal-E-Azam. Featuring timeless tracks like ‘Jab Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya’, Mughal-E-Azam has managed to set a benchmark in Indian cinema, which no other romantic movie has been able to match up to till today. Remade in color for the 21st Century, Mughal-E-Azam is a classic tale of forbidden love that will live on in every Indian movie-buff’s heart forever!
Want to bring the MEA vibe into your life? Follow these steps:
- Pine away for that one person you want, but just cannot have.
- Rock stunning and elaborate Indian wear like a connoisseur of style.
- Give your life a background track of Indian classical music.
- Love fearlessly, freely and express it with your art!
Bollywood is nothing if not for its romanticism and magical realism. The stunning cinematography, superior performances and unique styles of romantic movies in Bollywood continue to have an impact on our culture and make us fall in love with love itself!
Which of these is your favorite? Get set for a Bollywood romantic movie marathon this weekend!
- List of Must-Watch Motivational Bollywood Movie
- A-List of All Time Best Bollywood Comedy Movies
- 11 All-Time Favorite Thriller Movies in Bollywood
- Famous Bollywood Dialogues Every Fan Uses Daily
Image credits: The copyrights of the images used in this post belong to their respective owners. The credits where known are specified under the image - if you're the owner of an image and want it removed, please contact us.
Which is the No 1 romantic movie in Bollywood? ›
1) Dilwale Dhulaniya Le Jayenge
DDLJ is the most famous, most watched, and certainly, one of the most beloved romantic movies in Bollywood has ever been screened.
1. “Casablanca” (1942) You must remember this.Which movie has the best romance? ›
- The Notebook (2004) Courtesy. ...
- Love Jones (1997) Everett. ...
- Casablanca (1942) Courtesy. ...
- Pride & Prejudice (2005) Courtesy. ...
- In the Mood for Love (2000) Courtesy. ...
- When Harry Met Sally (1989) Courtesy. ...
- Titanic (1997) Courtesy. ...
- The Best Man (1999) Grab a plus-one for Malcolm D.
1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)What are the 5 perfect movies? ›
- Control (Ian Curtis biopic)
- Free Solo.
- The wind that shakes the barley.
- Dead mans shoes.
Global gross figures.
|Studio(s)||Aamir Khan Productions UTV Motion Pictures Walt Disney Studios India|
A number of these films also appear on the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies lists, but there are many others and several entries with dozens of positive reviews, which are considered surprising to some experts. To date, Leave No Trace holds the site's record, with a rating of 100% and 251 positive reviews.What is the most famous romance? ›
- Pride and Prejudice (1813) by Jane Austen. ...
- Wuthering Heights (1847) by Emily Brontë ...
- Jane Eyre (1847) by Charlotte Brontë ...
- Anna Karenina (1877) by Leo Tolstoy. ...
- Gone With the Wind (1936) by Margaret Mitchell. ...
- Doctor Zhivago (1957) by Boris Pasternak. ...
- Love Story (1970) by Erich Segal.
What is the best romantic love story? ›
- Casablanca (1942)
- Gone With the Wind (1939)
- West Side Story (1961)
- Roman Holiday (1953)
- An Affair to Remember (1957)
- The Way We Were (1973)
- Doctor Zhivago (1965)
- It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
What's Your Number? is a 2011 American romantic comedy film directed by Mark Mylod and starring Anna Faris and Chris Evans. Written by Gabrielle Allan and Jennifer Crittenden, it is based on Karyn Bosnak's book 20 Times a Lady.Which is the first 2000 crore movie in Bollywood? ›
|Dangal||2016||₹1,900 crore (US$291.76 million)|
|₹2,000 crore (US$307.12 million)|
|₹2,100 crore (US$322.47 million)|
'Mungaru Male' was one of the masterpieces in the Kannada film industry.Which is the fastest 1000 crore movie in India? ›
KGF 2 is the fourth Indian film to enter the ₹1000-crore club and naturally, is the fourth-highest-grossing Indian film in history. Ahead of it are only RRR ( ₹1115 crore), Baahubali: The Conclusion ( ₹1810 crore), and Dangal ( ₹2024 crore).Which Bollywood movie has the most kissing scenes? ›
Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor were joined at the lips for their film 'Befikre'. The two shared 23 on-screen kisses that is among the most we've ever seen in Bollywood.Who is the most romantic couple in Bollywood? ›
- Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput Kapoor.
- Kajol and Ajay Devgn.
- Vicky Kaushal and Katrina Kaif.
- Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
- Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna.
- Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma.
- Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Khan.
Filmmaker-actor Rishab Shetty's Kantara has become one of the highest-rated Indian films on IMDb with a rating of 9.5 out of 10.Which movie has 10 10 rating? ›
|10||9.6||Band of Brothers (2001)|
|10||9.3||The Shawshank Redemption (1994)|
|10||9.2||The Godfather (1972)|
|10||9.1||The Godfather: Part II (1974)|
Brahmastra box office: Beats The Kashmir Files to become no 1 Hindi film of 2022 | Bollywood - Hindustan Times.
Who is the No 1 heroine in India? ›
Salman Khan is without a doubt the celebrity with the largest fan base in India. He is one of the few global celebrities with a large fan base.Who is the God of actor in India? ›
Mohanlal. Mohanlal is referred as the god of acting. His talent of natural acting is amazing. He received these awards and honours as a part of this.What is the top 10 best movie? ›
- The 400 Blows (1959) Film. ...
- Star Wars (1977) Film. ...
- The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) Film. ...
- Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) Film. Action and adventure. ...
- Alien (1979) Film. Science fiction. ...
- Tokyo Story (1951) Film. Drama. ...
- Pulp Fiction (1994) Film. Drama. ...
- The Truman Show (1998) Film. Fantasy.
On the film review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, films that every surveyed critic considered bad have a 0% rating. As of 2022, 43 films have received this rating.Which is the biggest movie in India? ›
A perfect film is something that sings from start to finish with no obvious mistakes, whether they be aesthetic or structural. There are no logical lapses.”What are the 8 perfect movies? ›
- The Godfather. ...
- Casablanca. ...
- Rear Window. ...
- Boyhood. ...
- Vertigo. ...
- Three Colors: Red. ...
- Notorious. ...
- Citizen Kane.
|1||Top Gun: Maverick||51.8%|
|2||Jurassic World: Dominion||62.4%|
|3||Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness||57%|
|4||Minions: The Rise of Gru||60.7%|
The Hindi version of 'KGF Chapter 2' surpassed 'Dangal's box office collection and became the second-highest-grossing Hindi film of all time.
Which actor acted more than 1000 films? ›
Brahmanandam acted in more than 1,000 films.What type of movie is most watched? ›
- 805,382 interested. Spider-Man: No Way Home. English. ...
- 763,111 interested. Pushpa: The Rise - Part 01. Telugu. ...
- 447,845 interested. Master. Tamil. ...
- 257,560 interested. Sooryavanshi. Hindi. ...
- 256,282 interested. Vakeel Saab. Telugu. ...
- 195,183 interested. Malayalam. Action Drama.
- 166,888 interested. Eternals. English. ...
- 157,075 interested. Annaatthe.
Robert Burns is considered the pioneer of the Romantic Movement. Although his death in 1796 precedes what many consider the start of Romanticism, his lyricism and sincerity mark him as an early Romantic writer. His most notable works are “Auld Lang Syne” (1788) and “Tam o' Shanter” (1791).What is a true love? ›
True love is a unique and passionate bond that connects you as a couple that wants the best for the other person regardless of what that means for them. It is the foundation for a healthy, loving relationship. True love is authentic and genuine.Which city is known for romance? ›
Widely known as “the city of love”, Paris offers a romantic experience like no other.What are the 4 types of romance? ›
- Eros: erotic, passionate love.
- Philia: love of friends and equals.
- Storge: love of parents for children.
- Agape: love of mankind.
Romance helps grow our understanding of other people. It encourages empathy. Because it's the most popular genre worldwide, that's why. Because they're written for women by women (it's right 90% of the time), everything centered on a woman.What was the first romance story? ›
The first romance was, probably, Samuel Richardson's Pamela – or Virtue Rewarded which was published in 1740. The Pamela of the title is Pamela Andrews, a fifteen-year-old servant, who has to deal with the improper and unwanted advances of her employer.
What is your life number? ›
Sunday explains, "The life path number arrives through a simple calculation of adding up all the numbers of your birthdate. This includes the month, day, and year. When they're added together, a number 0-9, or 11, 22, or 33 will result, and it is referred to as your life path number."What is your number in Japan? ›
An Individual Number (個人番号, kojin bangō), also known as My Number (マイナンバー, mai nambā), is a 12-digit ID number issued to all citizens and residents of Japan (including foreign residents in Japan) used for taxation, social security and disaster response purposes.Where is my number Google? ›
On your computer, go to voice.google.com. Sign in to your Google Account. Under Account, the number listed is your Voice number.Who is the best couple in movies? ›
- Baby And Johnny (dirty Dancing) ...
- Tony And Maria (west Side Story) ...
- Quincy And Monica (love & Basketball) ...
- Katniss And Peeta (the Hunger Games Series) ...
- Rhett And Scarlett (gone With The Wind) ...
- Sandy And Danny (grease) ...
- Vivian And Edward (pretty Woman) ...
- Darius And Nina (love Jones)
Shah Rukh Khan turns 57 today, November 2. The actor has over the years redefined the tenets of reel romance with his work. Here is a look at some of his best romantic roles.Who is National crush of Bollywood? ›
01/5How Rashmika Mandanna became the 'national crush'
The film sees her alongside actors like Amitabh Bachchan and Neena Gupta. But much before her Hindi film debut, she had a huge impact on audiences all over the country, not just south.
|1||Mukesh & Nita Ambani||94%|
|2||Ranveer & Deepika||86%|
|3||Virat & Anushka||79%|
|4||Ranbir & Alia||72%|
In the 1950s and 60s, the House of Jaipur's Jai and Ayesha were seen as India's golden couple, rubbing shoulders with American film stars and British royalty. But as the princely states' power was squeezed post-partition, the couple had to balance partying with politics.Who is King of Romance in world? ›
Actor Shah Rukh Khan, called the 'King of Romance' has given us some gems in the form of film dialogues over all these years.Who is known as King of Love? ›
The King of love is my delight, His eyes are fire, His face is light, The First and Last, the Living One, His name is Jesus.
Who is No 1 hero in Indian cinema? ›
With Vikram Vedha winning the hearts of the audience, Hrithik Roshan the eternal Greek God of Indian cinema continues to top the list when it comes to male national crush in India. He has been continuously ranked in the most handsome men around the globe list and hence no wonder he is at the top of the list even now.Who is romantic hero in India? ›
Bollywood actor Imran Khan feels that yesteryears actor Rajesh Khanna is the most romantic hero of Indian cinema.