What is a Photo Mosaic?
A photo mosaic is an image composed from other images, aligned into arrays with a specialized software. Let’s see how to obtain a terrific unique mosaic photowhile making use of a collection of photographs. With the help of a mosaic, you can show-cast your photosfrom a shooting sessionthrough a single collage instead of browsing an entire website, for example. Here is what Ian Octoman says about his Photo Mosaic images: “When doing a photoshoot, I tend to take numerous shots (bad habit). But with those extra shots I am able to put together and create a collage mosaic.”
The main image must be rectangular, divided into equal sections, as small as you want it to be. The secondary images should be small enough to create a great visual effect, but not so small: someone who is looking at the finished project must be able to recognize the details from each used photo, when the main image is enlarged to 100% view.
When you look at the photos at a distance you see only the portrait.However, when youzoom into the mosaic picture you will notice that there are pictures of many different peoplewithin the image itself. These smaller secondary images may or may not be related to the main image. Like for example, you can compose a picture of an Asian lady from pictures of cars. Well, it’s a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.
A photo mosaic can be used as:
- A unique gift
- A wedding collage
- A memory of yourself
- A memory of your baby/child
- A collage of photos with your pet
- A collage of your holiday
Trying to make a mosaic photo by hand is a very difficult task. That’s why, with today’s technology, there are plenty of programs that use mathematical algorithms to create the collage by color matching and block placement. If you want to see how tedious this task is bbehindthe scene, here’s a scientific paper on this subject.The thing to remember about mosaic photos is that the more photos you load to make them, the more spectacular the result.
4 Basic Steps for every Photo Mosaic creation
Step 1: First,save a copy of thephotographs you want to use in a single location – folder – on your computer hard drive.
Step 2: Access aphoto mosaic software. There are several free or low-cost photo mosaic software programs available to download from the Internet. In this tutorial, I will present some of them that is online (no need to download) and free to use. But, as a general idea,theyall function in the same basic way, allowing you to build a complex image made up of small versions of the photos in your image collection.
Step 3:Select the parameters of your photo mosaic. Depending on your software, you can select how many times the image in your collection can be repeated, the size of each image, how many rows and columns of images will be in your final mosaic, and how much the program can alter each image in the collection to improve the final output. More advanced programs may have more options to discover and experiment with.But, other programs (like those free online tools), will only allow the use of their own gallery images. Either way, the final image will be a nice mosaic of your own main picture.
Step 4:When the completed mosaic is ready, you can still adjust the final product to your liking by changing the parameters in step 3. Make any desired changes to your image at this time. Then, save the file on your computer and broadcast it in the social networks. It will have a guaranteed success.
Makeing your Photo Mosaic withPicArtia
PicArtia lets you create photo mosaic Online and Free! (Photo Collage Maker) Create photo mosaic Online and Free! A powerful photo collage maker in 3 easy steps.
Step 1: Uploading Master Photo. My inconvenient: I could not upload a an original size image, I had to decrease the size.
Step 2: Select Gallery. My inconvenient: I could only select from their own pictures, I could not upload my own. So I used “dancers”.
Step 3: Final Settings. Here you can change the vertical and horizontal cut size, as well as the cell size.
After finishing the mosaic, I had to wait for a code to arrive in my email inbox in order to save the final image. My result using their algorithm and gallery is the one at the side. It has their logo stamped on it.
Makeing your Photo Mosaic withEasyMoza
EasyMoza is another free online tool that really does what it promises.You can use your own pictures, it is very user-friendly, no need to download a software,no registration required (like the code from PicArtia), no obligations, and has a social network share button.EasyMoza is also alot cheaper than other suppliers.
Step 1: Uploading Master Photo. For comparison purpose, I used the same image.
Step 2: Select Gallery. Here I can choose to upload my own gallery or choose between the two presets. I uploaded about 248 flower images, at 30% of the original size, with no issues. Then, the processing took some time, but that’s not surprising given the large amount of data I used.
Step 3:Extra options. I am pleasantly surprised to see that I can convert the final image into a BW or Sepia toned photo. Plus, I can adjust the brightness, saturation, hue and contrast. Well, I’ll give it a bit of more contrast (+10 and probably would have been better even more).
For a printable version I have to pay. This big image has a resolution of 5400 x 7200 pixels. That’s a great size. And, if I want to buy the printable version, I only have to pay a small fee for this one image, not an entire (expensive) program that I will hardly ever use.
My free size is 900 x 1200 and there is no logo on it. Great too. Compared with PicArtia, the image quality is visibly better. There is also a share button there, and when I pressed it, the program created an animation of zooming into the smaller images. This is fantastic! Look at the zooming movie here:http://www.easymoza.com/index.php?p=31&t=10&m=fPvF6LEtd0#
Makeing your Photo Mosaic withArtensoftPhotoMosaicWizard
Artensoft Mosaic Photo Wizard is made not only for home users, but professional designers too. The program lets you create eye-catching advertising posters, flyers and business cards, or decorate the interior of a home or office. You can make these mosaic photos yourself, without special skills. Just follow the program’s step-by-step instructions. If you want to try out all of the program’s features, you can download a trial for free. They claim that “unlike other implementations, in Artensoft Photo Mosaic Wizard, the features and algorithms used by the program allow you to create some of the best photo mosaic work in the world.”
So, given these 3 tests, the last one – Artensoft Mosaic Photo Wizard is the one I recommend if you are serious about this. For personal use, however, EasyMoza does a decent job.
- Latest Posts
I started photography as a hobby in 2005, during college. My passion slowly became a more important part of my life since 2008. Because of using a combination of my photographic knowledge, with those of internet marketing, I like to call myself a "photomarketer".
Latest posts by Laura (see all)
- How to professionally watermark your images for free - November 4, 2015
- New changes to Photoaxe – Becoming a Branded Website for Photographers - October 9, 2015
- How to show your online photo gallery and gain money at the same time - June 18, 2015
Download Our Freebie
Subscribe to receive one FREE ebook and
even more Photography Tips and Tricks
that will improve your photos.
Mosaically® lets you create your own photo mosaic using your own pictures. It also lets you share your photo mosaic and invite others to add their own photos. It's free, fast, and easy. You just pick the big picture you want your mosaic to look like, and then add all the small pictures that make up the mosaic.How do you make a simple mosaic design? ›
- Step 1: Start by Sketching a Design Onto a Piece of Paper. ...
- Step 2: Using a Marker, Transfer Your Design Onto the Wood. ...
- Step 3: Take Your Tile and Wrap It in a Cloth. ...
- Step 4: Gather Your Broken Tiles Into Color Categories. ...
- Step 5: Glue Each Piece Individually. ...
- Step 6: Let Glue Sit for 24 Hours.
Photo Scanning. By far the easiest option for digitizing old photos is to use your phone. You can simply snap a photo of your old photos, but you can get better results with a photo scanning app.Which app is best for mosaic effect? ›
- #1. ZaBa Photo Mosaic. It is guaranteed to make your photos very professional with some interesting mosaic techniques. ...
- #2. Mosaicture. You will be able to come up with genuine mosaics with this app as per the photos that you have in your computer. ...
- #3. Collagics Photo Mosaic. ...
- #4. Mosaicoid.
A photo mosaic is a mosaic which consists of many small photos. Viewed from a distance, the small photos merge into a large overall picture. With MosaPics you can create a photo mosaic from your own photos!How can I put multiple images in one shape at the same time? ›
- From the menu, by searching for Place image.
- From the Shapes menu in the toolbar:
- Use the keyboard shortcuts: MacOS: Shift-Command-K. Windows: Shift + Ctrl + K.
To merge multiple images, use the Layer Mask, Blend Mode, or Layer Opacity tools to control the merge function. The Layer Opacity tool is the simplest method to merge multiple images.What is the fastest way to tile an image in Photoshop? ›
- Launch Photoshop. ...
- Click the "Rectangle Marquee" tool and set the Feather value to "0" pixels. ...
- Click "Edit" and "Define Pattern" to mark the selected photo as a pattern. ...
- Click "File" and "New" to create a new image. ...
- Click "Edit" and "Fill" if you want to tile the photo across the entire canvas.
Pro Mosaic Creator. With our free, Easy to Use App!What techniques are used to create mosaics? ›
To make mosaics, all you need to do is practice the direct and indirect methods. The direct method is all about sticking the mosaic stones to the base. The indirect method involves placing the tesserae face down on temporary backing and holding the pieces in place with a water-soluble glue.
- Adobe Spark.
- Canva Collage Templates.
- BeFunky Collage Maker.
- Fotor Collage Maker.
- Google Photos.
PhotoGrid allows you to create collages on desktop browser, iOS and Android app version. It only takes few seconds to make you a storyteller with amazing collages. Enjoy free photo-editing apps on multiple devices.What app do most photographers use? ›
- Bacon Camera.
- Camera +2.
- Camera Zoom FX Premium.
- Moment Pro Camera.
- Adobe Photoshop Camera.
- Adobe Lightroom Mobile.
Scanning Your Old Photos
However, the quality of the digital file created compared to simply taking a picture of an old photo is staggering. Scanning old photos will capture every detail of your picture and will result in a clear and precise copy, creating a digital backup that everyone can share.
Google PhotoScan is a free app available for both Android and iPhone.What equipment is needed to digitize photos? ›
What Do I Need to Digitize Photos? The only hardware you'll need to digitize your photos is a scanner, so if you already have one you like, you're ahead of the game. One thing to check before you go through this process is your scanner's maximum dpi (dots per inch), which determines the quality of your scan.What app makes photos look like art? ›
Adobe PaintCan is one of the top free apps to get if you want to transform your picture into a painting. The app beautifully mimics an artist's brushstrokes through various styles you apply yourself. With this unique approach, Adobe PaintCan lets you become the painter and brush the image in.How do I make a photo mosaic in Word? ›
Click on “Page Layout” or “Design,” then click on “Page Color.” Click on “Fill Effects.” This opens the Fill Effects menu. Click on the “Picture” tab, then click “Select Picture.” Select the picture or image you want tiled, then click “Insert.” The image will appear in the preview pane of your document.What app gives sparkle effect? ›
For iOS and Android, YouCam Perfect is a photo editor app allowing you to add sparkle effects to your photos. With it, you can easily add sparkles and stars to your pictures in just a few easy steps.What is a photo dump? ›
A photo dump is exactly as it sounds– a random collection of photos that aren't too curated or edited. It's basically the image equivalent of the scrappy video technique. You post photo dumps as an Instagram carousel, often with silly captions like "photo dump 🤪" to connect the trend to the images and caption.
A triptych is an artwork made up of three pieces or panels.What is a looping image called? ›
The Droste effect (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈdrɔstə]), known in art as an example of mise en abyme, is the effect of a picture recursively appearing within itself, in a place where a similar picture would realistically be expected to appear.What is it called when you put a whole bunch of pictures together? ›
Photomontage is the process and the result of making a composite photograph by cutting, gluing, rearranging and overlapping two or more photographs into a new image. Sometimes the resulting composite image is photographed so that the final image may appear as a seamless physical print.How do you cluster photos together? ›
- Press and hold CTRL while you click the shapes, pictures, or other objects to group. You will need to select more than one shape, picture or object in order to enable the Group button. ...
- Select the Arrange button and choose Group.
- Create a new document. In Photoshop, choose File > New. ...
- Add and resize background image. Drag an image from your computer into the document. ...
- Add more images. Drag more images into the document. ...
- Move images in front or behind. ...
- Show and hide images. ...
- Refine your design. ...
- Nice job — hope you had fun.
- PineTools. PineTools lets you quickly and easily merge two photos into a single picture. ...
- IMGonline. ...
- OnlineConvertFree. ...
- PhotoFunny. ...
- Make Photo Gallery. ...
- Photo Joiner.
There are a few different ways to tile an image without using Photoshop. The simplest way is to use an image editor. For example, GIMP can be used to tile an image by using the Tile tool. Another way to tile an image is to use the Windows Clipboard.How do you blur the background fast and easy in Photoshop? ›
In the Layers panel, go to the background layer. Use the Filter menu, select the Blur tool, choose which type of blur you want to use, and adjust accordingly with the blur slider.
- Select and prepare your photos. Use as many images as you like, but 144 is a good number because it will get you closest to a perfect square. ...
- Create a contact sheet. ...
- Arrange the "tiles” and define a pattern. ...
- Create a pattern fill layer. ...
- Make your final adjustments.
Prisma. Prisma is one of the most well-known and full-featured apps for turning photos into paintings. It popularized painterly photos in the first place. It's free on both iOS and Android, which has helped build the app's popularity.
To create a photo mosaic you need one main image and at least 50 individual photos. The more photos you have, the more detailed your mosaic will be. Depending on the size you choose, there will be between 400 and 10,000 small mosaic pictures in the background.What is the easiest free photo editor for beginners? ›
- GIMP. This fully accessible photo editor has grown in popularity and is now one of the top choices for beginners. ...
- WPS office. ...
- Photos app for windows 10. ...
- Adobe Lightroom. ...
- Fotor. ...
- Darktable. ...
- Photopea. ...
- Coral PaintShop Pro.
PhotoDirector is the best photo editing app in the market. It includes studio-quality AI-powered tools to animate your photos, remove unwanted objects, change backgrounds, and touch up photos.What is the easiest free photo editor to use? ›
- #1 – InPixio – We Have a New Winner for 2021!
- #2) Fotor – The revolutionary photo editor.
- #3) Gimp – Oh, How the Mighty Have Fallen.
- #4) BeFunky – Fun is its Middle Name.
- #5) Photoshop Express – Your Photoshop Fix. Just FREE.
- #6) Canva – By Far the Easiest.
- #7) Paint.net – Better than MS Paint! </h3.
- #8) Pixlr.
- Open your image in PicMonkey.
- Apply the Edge Sketch effect.
- Add an artistic touch with Posterize.
- Adjust Exposure and Colors for a polished look.
- Download, upload, and share for all to see. Voila!
- Open a photo. In Photoshop, go to File > Open... and select a photo from your computer. ...
- Convert layer to smart object. ...
- Open the Filter Gallery. ...
- Apply the Dry Brush filter. ...
- Intensify the colors. ...
- Fine-tune adjustments (optional)
- Autodesk SketchBook. Autodesk Sketchbook UI. ...
- Adobe Illustrator Draw. Adobe Illustrator drawing apps have become a leader in the digital art industry. ...
- Adobe Fresco (previously Photoshop Sketch) ...
- MediBang Paint. ...
- GIMP. ...
- Sketch I.O. ...
- Procreate. ...
Business Portraits & Headshots: It would generally be safe to expect to see around 15 finished images per hour.